People often use the word “exclusive” to describe a stage in a romantic relationship where two people have agreed to only date each other. But different people can have different ideas about what it means to be exclusive.
Let’s talk about what it means to be in an exclusive relationship, the benefits, and how to have a good one.
What’s an exclusive relationship
When two people agree to only date each other, they are in an exclusive relationship. It means making a promise not to see anyone else and to focus only on each other.
This means that neither of you sees anyone else, and the same is true for your partner. Both people in an exclusive relationship commit to being loyal to each other and working towards closer relationships.
The benefits of being in an exclusive relationship
There are many good things about being in an exclusive relationship. First of all, it makes partners feel safe and builds trust. When you know that your partner is only committed to you, it can give you a sense of peace and security.
Second, being exclusive allows you to focus on getting closer to your partner. Without other people around, you can focus on getting to know each other better and making a stronger emotional bond.
Third, exclusivity makes it possible to get closer to someone physically and emotionally.
Signs that you are in an exclusive relationship
There are some signs that indicate you are in an exclusive relationship. These signs include:
- You have had a conversation about being exclusive.
- You spend most of your time together.
- You have met each other’s friends and family.
- You are not actively seeking out other people to date.
- You have taken your online dating profiles down.
- You both refer to each other as boyfriend or girlfriend.
Red flags in exclusive relationships
There are also some red flags to watch out for in exclusive relationships. These red flags include:
- Your partner is not willing to discuss the future of your relationship.
- Your partner is not interested in meeting your friends or family.
- Your partner is still actively dating other people.
- Your partner is not supportive of your goals and dreams.
- Your partner is not willing to compromise or communicate openly.
Also See: What is a relationship deal breaker?
Opposite of exclusive relationship
When it comes to romantic relationships, the opposite of an exclusive relationship is a non-exclusive relationship, in which both people are free to date and see other people.
In a relationship that isn’t exclusive, both people are free to date and see other people. There is no commitment to being exclusive, and both people are free to date other people.
Exclusive vs. Non-exclusive relationships
Not everyone wants an exclusivity, and some people would rather date more than one person at a time.
In non-exclusive relationships, both people are free to see other people and are not committed to each other. People who aren’t ready for a serious commitment or want to see what else is out there before settling down might like non-exclusive relationships.
But non-exclusive relationships can have their own problems, like jealousy and a lack of emotional closeness. It’s important to be honest with yourself and your partner about what you want from a relationship and to set clear boundaries and expectations.
Is being exclusive the same as being in a relationship?
People often interchange the terms “exclusive” and “in a relationship” when discussing romantic relationships. But the two ideas are not exactly the same.
The level of commitment is the main difference between being exclusivity and being in a relationship. Exclusive relationships are a step towards getting serious with someone, but they are not the same thing.
In an exclusive relationship, both partners are focused solely on each other, but may not necessarily be committed to a long-term future together. Being in a relationship means you care more about the other person and plan to be with them for a long time.
Signs that you are exclusive but not in a relationship
- You have not had a conversation about being in a relationship.
- You are not referring to each other as boyfriend or girlfriend.
- You have not met each other’s friends or family.
- You are not committed to a long-term future together.
Signs that you are in a relationship but not exclusive
- You or your partner are dating other people.
- You have not had a conversation about being exclusive.
- You are not referring to each other as exclusively dating.
- You are not committed to only dating each other.
He wants exclusive but not relationship – Things to say
If your partner wants exclusivity but doesn’t want to be in a relationship, it can be hard to figure out what to do. Here are some things you can tell your partner to help them understand what you want and what you don’t want:
- “I appreciate that you want to be exclusive, but I need more clarity on what that means for us.”
- “Can we have a conversation about what being exclusive but not in a relationship means for our future?”
- “I want to make sure that we are on the same page about our expectations and what we want out of our relationship.”
- “Being exclusive without a commitment to a relationship is a grey area for me, and I want to make sure that we are both comfortable with this arrangement.”
- “I need to think about what being exclusive but not in a relationship means for me, and I would like to discuss this further with you.”
It’s important to be open and honest with your partner about how you feel and what you need, and to be willing to listen to how they feel and what they need.